Saturday, September 21, 2013

Amazing Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil is my best friend right now - here's why, along with some great cosmetic & health uses:

For the past 2 months I've been taking steroids to treat my Stills Disease.  One side effect of long term steroid use is thinning of the skin causing dryness and flaking.  Let me tell you, my entire body "shed" like a snake.  My skin was flaking off in the way skin does after sunburn, and wherever I sat or lay down I left little white specks like dandruff.  It was horrible!  I was washing my bed linens daily, and constantly wiping down all surfaces in my house.  Had I not used coconut oil during this time, and since, I would not have gotten through that most uncomfortable situation.  Thanks goodness I had 7lbs of it laying around, ha!  I only have about 3 weeks left on my steroid regimen, and I slather myself with coconut oil at least 3-4 times a day to prevent another awful flaking episode.  I swear by coconut oil, and will continue to use it forever in lieu of traditional lotions.
Coconut oil comes in solid form, and melts at 76 degrees F.  It is extracted from the coconut "meat".  It is safe to use in both cosmetics and cooking.

Cosmetic Uses:  Since coconut oil melts at 76 degrees applying it directly to the skin creates a silky, spreadable moisturizer that once absorbs leaves no greasy residue. A little goes a long way, so just start out with a pinch of oil.  I recommend applying right out of the shower to towel dried skin.
   Use just a little on hair to detangle and give a silky shine, especially on those dead ends.  To maximize its moisturizing effects, coat your entire scalp and hair, throw on a shower cap, and leave in for 30min to an hour.  Wash & style as usual.  This is also helpful if you have a dry scalp or dandruff.
   It can be used in almost anything including soap, lotion, body butter, lip balm, and more.  Coconut oil has a very long shelf life, so no need to worry about your product going bad.
There is also a liquid form called Fractionated Coconut Oil, in which the longer chains of fatty acid are separated causing the liquid state.  I use this as my perfume oil base.

Health Uses:  Consuming coconut oil has been shown in studies to boost the immune system against viruses, bacteria, and yeasts.  It can also boost your metabolism & energy levels by supporting thyroid function.  As an excellent moisturizer it has been used to treat Psoriasis and Eczema. There are some indications that support that it can be beneficial for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Crohn's Disease, Diabetes, PMS and Alzheimers. Try using coconut oil in cooking to take advantage of all its health benefits!
Sources: The Dr. Oz Show Website , WebMD 

Have I convinced you that Coconut oil is the greatest thing since sliced bread? Awesome!  Now let's go get you some.  You can find coconut oil in health food stores like Whole Foods, but my goodness is it expensive!  I've seen jars of less than 16oz. go for $10 or more!  If you want it right away and don't want to pay shipping than buying it at the store may be the way to go.


However I recommend purchasing it online from one of my favorite suppliers, Brambleberry (right now 16oz. is only $2.30!)  I buy it in 7lb quantities, which comes in a convenient bag with pour spout.  You can also find it on eBay, Etsy, and many other websites that sell health foods or cosmetic supplies.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment